Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad

Mark Wisner mwissner@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

"Buy one tuning get one free", huh?  Interesting marketing idea, but I hope you abandon it soon in case it starts to catch on.

But who am I to talk?  My first in home tuning for money took five hours. (O'course that was over 30 years ago and almost EVERYTHING took longer in the 70's....)  Anyway after five hours of tuning I was pretty proud of the results and to my delight, the customer enthusiastically agreed and joyfully wrote a check.  It wasn't until later that I realized that they were probably not so much impressed with the tuning than they were just worn out from the racket and glad it was finally over.

I can't speak for other PTG chapters but at the chapter I belong to we are delighted to have interested technicans attend meetings as guests.  Call Richard Bittinger @ 717 293 8639 to find out when and where the Reading-Lancaster chapter meets.  He can also tell you their policy regarding non-members and if there is a reduced rate for student members.  I can't stress involvment in PTG enough.

-------Original Message-------
From: Jeffrey Schlaybach <schlaybach@earthlink.net>
Sent: 09/05/03 01:38 PM
To: Mark Wisner <mwissner@earthlink.net>, pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: RE: Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad

> I agree Mark! I am a beginning tuner/technician taking the Randy Potter
course. He "provides" his students with the Reblitz book and has many
reading assignments in the book as well. There are some great pictures and
it is good to read Randy's instructions and ideas and bounce them off of
those in the Reblitz book. I also learn so much reading, mostly on the
sidelines, the commentary on this mail list. I also search the archives
for
ideas as well.

I made the tuning business official 3 weeks ago (sales tax number and trip
to the CPA) and have tuned 3 pianos and eased and repair keys on a 4th.
(not
much business but it is a start) In announcing my business I made mention
of
a buy 1 tuning, get one tuning free coupon (good for 6 months) to
acknowledge to these first "daring" customers that I am still learning and
may not have set a pin or two correctly, etc. I currently use TuneLab Pro
demo version until I can afford to buy a copy without the 2 minute
countdown
every 44 notes. I use that time right now to recheck what I've done so
when
I'm finished I don't have so much rechecking and tweaking to do.

Since I am unemployed (20 1/2 years at one company as an electrical
engineer) the PTG membership will have to wait until I either see a
increase
in business or find another job and continue the tuning business at night
and on weekends.

Jeff Schlaybach
Robesonia, PA