further education

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:07:09 -0500

Joey,

In my case, since I switched in the middle of the Randy Potter course,
there was really no adjustment for me.  I learned to tune on a new Yamaha
U1 and the pins were very tight.  With the traditional lever, I really felt
as though I was just fighting the pins too much, especially in the upper
treble where it was difficult for me to make very small increments with the
traditional lever.

Yes, the technique is quite different.  Because it is very easy to move the
pin in small increments with an impact hammer, I usually move the pin back
and forth, getting closer and closer to the target pitch until I come up to
pitch on my last movement.  The jury still seems out on this but many feel
that making this final movement up to pitch (as opposed to moving to pitch
from above) makes for better stability.  In my own experience, I haven't
been able to tell much difference in stability whether I approach the
correct pitch from above or below.  For whatever reason, I seem to be
quicker and more accurate if I approach the pitch coming down from above.

The only problem with an impact hammer is that it really doesn't work well
on grands.  However, I have a second impact hammer that is a T-handle
hammer (I'm sure Joe Goss will tell you about his - it seems very nice!)
This does cause you to carry around 2 weighted hammers and makes the tuning
bag quite a bit heavier but that's never really bothered me much.

Although I love Schaff, the design of their impact hammer isn't very good.
I had Keith Bowman at Renner make my upright impact hammer and Mike
Swendsen (out of Canada) make my T-hammer impact wrench.

Sometimes I will find a piano where the pins have low torque and in these
cases, it can actually be a bit of a challenge to use an impact hammer.  In
these cases, I use my traditional hammer.  So, in my case, I carry three
different hammers in my tuning bag.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "Joey Recker"
                      <joey@onkeypianot        To:       "'Pianotech'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      uning.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: further education
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      09/05/2003 11:50
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      joey; Please
                      respond to
                      Pianotech

I've seen them in the catalogs but that's about as much as I know about
them.  If I use an impact hammer, does my technique have to change or
what?  How long did it take you to adjust?

JR