Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:28:06 -0500

Joey,

I'm a relatively new tuner as well and I must say, in my personal case, I
found an all new level of accuracy and stability when I switched from a
traditional tuning lever to an impact lever.  Of course, when I made this
switch, I was still taking the Randy Potter course and still trying a lot
of different techniques.  In my experience, technicians who have used the
traditional tuning lever for a long time don't tend to take too well to the
impact hammer.  In my opinion, however, it is easier and quicker for a new
tuner to learn the impact  hammer than the traditional hammer.  My tunings
became more stable and I was able to set the pitch quicker.  It might
quickly take that 3.5 hour spinet job down to a more reasonable 1.5-2
hours.

Just my opinion.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      Mark Wisner
                      <mwissner@earthli        To:       pianotech@ptg.org
                      nk.net>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: RE: Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      09/05/2003 10:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

The Reblitz book is a must.  So is joining the PTG and attending every
meeting and convention you can afford to get to.  But "book-learning"
usually isn't as good of a teacher in this business as experience is.  Take
on every job that comes your way and accept that it will take you longer
now than it will later.  And to be fair to your customers while you are
honing your skills to a razors edge of technical perfection, price the work
according to how long it would have taken you to do if you already knew how
to do it.