Nordiska

Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:16:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 05, 2003 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: Nordiska

> Regarding the horse and water thing, if they seem interested, I will
sometimes go a little further and suggest that for a given amount of funds
available for a piano, it is sometimes advantageous to aim a notch lower in
quality and get the 5' 10" piano rather than the slightly better quality 4'
11" job. Definitely a trade-off here, and the decision would not be
clear-cut, but definitely something to consider.

> I've serviced and listened to a few Samick and Hyundai, etc. six-foot
pianos that at least sounded more-or-less like a piano. But I have yet to
hear ANY five-foot-ish pie-anner that sounded more piano-like than
spinet-like.

For the most part, of course, this is true. I have found it some puzzling,
over the years, why folks continue to buy small grand pianos. Or very small
verticals, for that. They have been denigrated by technicians and "real"
musicians for decades. To most the tonal sacrifices are obvious. So
obvious, in fact I sometimes wonder if the manufacturer hasn't screwed up
the design to deliberately make them sound worse than necessary.

But it does not have to be. What is the difference, really, between a 150
cm grand and a 180 cm grand. In terms of scaling, not all that much. Both
will start out (at C-88) about the same. At F-33 the 180 cm piano will have
the option of being slightly longer, but not enough to significantly affect
tone quality or volume. As well, to that point soundboard area and function
will be at least similar. The bass/tenor crossover might be a bit higher in
the short piano, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

It is not until you get down to the mid- to low-bass that any significant
differences start to show up. The small grand will have to give up either
low bass power or tone quality. The usual (and wrong) choice is to give up
tone quality.

Small grand pianos can -- and should -- be made to be quite musical. To do
otherwise is easier, to be sure, and is just one more example of the
cynicism the much of this industry has toward its marketplace.

Ask Susan Kline about the small grand -- does shorter than 4' 7" qualify as
small? -- used as a demo piano at my presentation to Oregon Day several
years back.

Del