of spline and catenary

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:27:04 -0500

A question for the math, engineering, and geometry folks out there. A
constant cross section beam, end supported and center loaded, describes a
curve. What curve? I suspect it's catenary, but I haven't found anything
anywhere giving even a clue one way or another. If no one out there can
produce a reference, I'll resort to attempting to work out the math
describing the catenary and comparing deflection rates at various points
along the beam with available formulae. But math is hard on me, and I'd
appreciate any specifics anyone out there may have that would help minimize
the inevitable frustration.

Thanks, just in case...
Ron N