Hearing protection and tuning

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:58:16 -0400

Recently, I received a bunch of different sized samples from Diane
Hofstetter.
Diane, at my request, sent me a bunch of different sized samples of pre-cut
hearing protection. The size of your ear itself determines what size fits
you best. The sizes I received ranged from medium to XXXL.

I have been using disposable foam hearing protection for years with only one
concern: when I got to the top 2 octaves, I had a hard time hearing nuances
in regards to unisons, so I would remove one of them to do this
section..kinda defeats the purpose, hu?

Of the samples that Diane sent me and the instructions on how to measure
your ear fro the proper fit, I decided on the XL's. I first wore them to a
gig this past Saturday and Sunday nights. I was amazed of the clarity that
was 'allowed', and also I could hear myself very well when it came to
vocalizing (i can hear the collective barfing from here!). The harmful
frequencies were, of course, being eliminated while this clarity was allowed
in. Stage Nirvana.

I couldn't wait until Tuesday to start tuning with them. It's now Thursday
afternoon and I have tuned 7 pianos using this type of hearing protection.
I am _way_ impressed with these plugs. Interval beating seems a tad
magnified without the higher frequencies getting in the way of what I need
to listen to. The slow-beating 5th in the temperament octave is "RIGHT
THERE" without having to strain to hear it. I wouldn't have believed it if I
didn't hear it for myself. Of course the 4th in the temperament octave is
clear as a bell also. Both of these intervals seem just slightly magnified,
or, easy to hear with this type of plug. I can't explain it any other way
other than that. You're gonna have to find out for yourself.

The real test for this type of hearing protection and me involves unisons in
the top 2 octaves. I am glad to report that the high frequency junk that we
have to tune around is not there using these plugs. You can hear the
out-of-tune unison beat clearly and without all the junk associated with it.
Tuning Nirvana.

I have seen custom hearing protection from an audiologist and I have seen
the price that they charge. These plugs, while form-fitted to the size of
your ear, are the closest thing _I_ have come across without going custom,
and at a fraction of the cost of custom plugs.

If you're tuning with disposable hearing protection, I would strongly
recommend trying these plugs. I'm sure glad I did.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com