bottom board crack

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:41:43 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carman Gentile" <cgpiano@humboldt1.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:28 PM
Subject: bottom board crack
>    At the risk of asking about a topic that has already been covered...
>        What is the preferred method to repair a crack in the bottom board
> of an upright (for clients who cannot afford to replace it)?
>    I have seen some repaired using a few steel "mending plates".  Are there
> any repair techniques that YOU prefer?
> Carman Gentile RPT
> Redwood Chapter

    Yeah, steel mending plates sound great, if you have 'em -- I imagine any scrap plate steel would work, or even thick aluminum.  I've also used approx. 1" x 1" or 1" x 2" chunks of hardwood screwed and glued to the bottom board across the (perpendicular to) the crack.  In some pianos, there's not room to do this, depending on the trapwork and location of the crack.  Whatever works to stiffen the board to keep it from flexing and squeaking.  Replacement with a new board (can be plywood) is ideal.  -- David Nereson, RPT