soundboard buzz

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:20:11 EDT

<<

My first try was going to be to drill out the dowels in the ribs and replace
without taking the bridge off.  It really sounds like the buzz is coming from
this one rib/bridge "foot".

Any takers?

The first thing I would do would be to drill a 1/16" hole down from the top
of the bridge into the dowels.  You can locate them by the small dimple on the
bridge cap.  drill far enough so that you know you are into the top of the
dowel  (3/4" is usually enough).  Using a pre-heated syringe, squirt a very thin
mixture of hot hide glue down into the hole and then drive a blunted toothpick
in on top of it.
    I have stopped a few mysterious buzzes this way, and if you need to
dismantle stuff later, it doesn't get in the way.  A sharp chisel and a touch of
graphite stick and the repair disappears.
good luck,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">