Function of the rim

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:45:47 -0500

I don't know, and I don't understand the rationale.  My understanding is
that the typical angle is 3 degrees back, away from the hitch pin.

If a tuning pin were a foot long, and only had the bottom 2" in the pinblock
(and the string was attached at the top of the pin, way up in the air), I
can see where a truly vertical pin would perhaps lever the pinblock
backwards towards the keys (at least, the bottom layers of the pinblock).

My best guess (having never driven a pin, just measuring my piano) is that a
pin is about 2" long, and is in the block about an inch.  The strings on
mine are about 1/4" above the (bushed) plate.  So, let's see, the part of
the pin above the string doesn't really count, so we have a lever 1/4" long
(the part in the air that can move sideways...easily, anyway...), with the
fulcrum being the top of the pinblock (way oversimplified: I'm sticking my
neck out here with this expert crowd, so be gentle!).

Angling the pin back 3 degrees means there's now some forward (towards the
hitchpin) component to the force vector, as applied to the top of the block.
If it were 90 degrees back, it would be 100% horizontal resistance, so this
gives it 3/90ths more horizontal resistance.

Assuming the pin doesn't flex that much, I guess there's not as much
difference in resistance to the string tension, as there is a difference in
how the part of the pin in the block puts pressure on the block.  Does this
analysis make sense?

And by "plate flange angle", I assume they mean the "v" in the plate that
opens towards the hitch pins, that the block mates to?

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN