Function of the rim

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:16:48 -0500

Cy:

If the written test is supposed to be given to see if someone is
qualified to take the other tests, that's not an appropriate question
in my mind.  There are too many "correct" answers there.  I
personally think it has a cosmetic function, it does add mass to the
rim to provide an acoustic function, it obviously does give a place
for the top to rest.  Provide a support for soundboard crown seems to
be the most incorrect of all the answers to me.

Are there any other obvious clinkers in that test?

dave

On 9/1/2003 at 11:44 AM Cy Shuster wrote:

>On the members area of the PTG site, I've found a great "practice
test"
>for
>the RPT written exam (thanks to the Chicago Chapter).  I scratched
my head
>on this question:
>

>71) The outer rim of the grand piano primarily serves to provide a
>
>                A. cosmetic structure against wood deterioration
>
>                B. resistant structure against the force of the
soundboard
>crown
>
>                C. resonant structure to enhance tone
>
>                D. vertical structure for the top lid to rest on
>

>In the answer key, it gives "B" as the correct answer.  From what
I've read