Function of the rim

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:44:58 -0500

On the members area of the PTG site, I've found a great "practice test" for
the RPT written exam (thanks to the Chicago Chapter).  I scratched my head
on this question:

71) The outer rim of the grand piano primarily serves to provide a

                A. cosmetic structure against wood deterioration

                B. resistant structure against the force of the soundboard
crown

                C. resonant structure to enhance tone

                D. vertical structure for the top lid to rest on

In the answer key, it gives "B" as the correct answer.  From what I've read
here, it seems that neither compression-crowned nor rib-crowned boards get
much assistance from the rim.  In fact, in both cases it seems that crown is
achieved completely before installation into the cabinet.

Is this outdated info?  Does this reflect the received wisdom as expressed
in the current RPT exam?

--Cy Shuster--

Rochester, MN