Henry F. Miller Grand/Rocker capstans

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:49:18 -0700

A small "tip" for rocker capstans: do one screw at a time. If you want to go
"up", loosen the screw that will let it "rock" up. Then tighten the "down"
screw just slightly. Then tighten the "up" screw for the final adjustment.
Once you've done a few you'll get a "feel" for it and it should go rather
quickly. Of course, the proper tools should be at hand. The Off-Set
Screwdriver, from Renner is one of the best. However, I've found that only
one type of off-set will not always do the job. Enclosed is a "scan" of a
couple of home made types. I hope this will help. BTW, the home made ones
are heat treated so that the tip(s) are hard enough. 1/4" Drill Rod, is
appropriate, although these were not made out of it. (Just some scrap Player
Linkage.<G>)
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I