C/A glue [how much ????? .. and general rant ..]

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:25:53 -0400

At 9:38 PM -0700 8/31/03, Susan Kline wrote:
>>"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
>>     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.
>>+++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Oh, geez, I thought I WAS improving on the silence!
>
>So, Mr. Bill, do you have any opinions on the substance of what I wrote?

experience. Especially the stuff delivered "from the soapbox": tools
such as the electric tea kettle, the "zapper", and CA for pinblocks
have such power that they may at first sight have the appearance of a
five pound sledge. You know what they say, "When all you've got is a
hammer, everything looks like a nail". As point out, it's up to us to
notice that that these tools do their best work with a minute tap.

It never occurred to me that all that extra CA pour into a pinblock
might be like the second of two aspirins the doctor recommends. Both
the doctor and the pharmaceutical company know it's the first aspirin
which does the job, and the second aspirin can't be absorbed by the
metabolism and is dumped out with the trash. I held off using CA
because I didn't know how it worked. (It's capillary action is well
known, but what is it doing after the volatiles have left and it's
turned solid? Does it pull split wood back together? Will the thin
stuff when cured, fill gaps? If it's a gap filler, what happens
during the dry season when the pinblock wood relaxes its pressure on
the tuning pin? Will the CA recede with the wood or will it continue
to fill the gap in a way which maintains the pressure (friction grip)
on the tuning pins? Does it reinforce the wood in a way fundamentally
different from the epoxy used by restorers of antique pianos?)

I never did get these questions answered, but since March of this
year, I've had five disastrous pinblocks made tunable. All five were
beyond driving the pins (my long-standing remedy), one didn't even
respond to o'sized pins. All of the owners had lived (for months or
years) with my warning that the next inevitable step was o'sized pins
(or where that was already done, a new block). And all five were
overjoyed when I came back to them with the CA remedy (regardless of
my lack of guarantee of its longevity).

Not knowing anything more about and making the reasonable assumption
that with such basket-case blocks, more was going to be more,
especially when the work being done was gap-filling. So the average
dose among these pianos was ~3 oz. I never had CA drip out the
underside of the block (all five were grands), although I had
prepared for that event. So that 3 oz. was clearly all absorbed by
these blocks. The tuning pin feeling is not the traditional
steel-in-wood, with the tuning pin twisting until that twist finally
reaches the bottom end of the pin. The CA'd torque is in the
neighborhood of 90-100 "/#, but the entire length of the pin turns
from the outset. What the heck, it works.

On that other five-pound sledge, the electric tea kettle: I used to
use it all the time when it was first shown to me back in '94. But I
also found which hammers it worked on and which not. It will for
instance turn a Renner hammer into a raw NY Steinway hammer, but the
former will not bloom under reinforcing as will the latter. And the
resins binding together the felt in a NY Steinway hammer are not
water soluble, no matter how hot the water. But I've since gone to
Roger Jolly's manner of applying steam: the water stored in a strip
of cloth laid on the hammers, and a hammer iron bringing the water to
steam temperature. Recently I hauled out the tea kettle, but one pass
told me that steam (no matter how massive) was not going to work.
It's been 10-12 years since I last used the alcohol/water mix (the
equivalent of your vodka), but I traded it in for steam which showed
me its result far quicker that alc/water. However I don't doubt that
what you do works very well for you.

Susan, you always improve on the silence, especially your own, ie.,
those long stretches when we don't hear from you. I did read your
entire post and my first reaction was, at 8K that was far more than
what could be dashed off in 15 minutes. Hence the comment about you
being trapped indoors this weekend. My apologies for that response to
he surface appearance for your post farther than its substance.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"A jester unemployed is nobody's fool."
     ...........Danny Kaye, in "The Court Jester"