Piano Moving

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:15:15 EST

Peter  writes:

<< Fit the skid onto the long side and ratchet up.  We use a car jack fixed
to a stand these days, so that goes under the left cheek block. Jack left side
up and remove lyre.  Remove left leg and drop down onto the skid.   >>

     What keeps the skid board from pressing upwards against the lid when you
lower the piano to the floor?  I have seen numerous moves like this and
repaired numerous hinges when the weight of the piano caused the skid board to tear
the screws out.
   Also, FWIW, the Steinway factory method of turning the piano utilizes the
lyre as the pivot point.  My current movers also do this, unless it is one of
my reproducers,(the lyre attaches to an irreplaceable iron span) or the lyre
tends to be marginal or really decorative).
   After seeing a lot of D's turned on the lyre, I don't worry about the
smaller pianos, they have the same lyre as the big one but weigh a lot less.

Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>