Abel Hammers..trouble opening them up..help!

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:03:28 -0800

Use a single needle, you should be "abel" to penetrate them.  To soften the
shoulders on the tenor hammers (if you're really having trouble), you can
use pliers to squeeze the felt down in the 9:00 - 11:00 and 1:00 to 3:00
and then use a single needle as you move toward the crown.  You might try
contacting Wally Brooks at wwbrooks@aol.com for advice.  I have to say that
I tend to stay away from hammers that require this type of preparation and
maintenance.  If you get frustrated with the tone, you might try putting a
sample of a softer hammer on there like an Isaac or a Ronsen, or even a
Steinway, in a couple of places and see if that's what you are aiming for.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net