Rib Support

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:23:23 +0100

>       Would you feel the same if the SB and ribs were out of the
>      piano, just sitting on a flat surface, crown up?  If you
>      take the rim out of the picture, then it seems to me the
>      ribs don't support crown, unless they have a strong "spring"
>      action in trying to straighten themselves.  Would you agree?

This is that other analogy that just isnt quite right. To begin with,
the ribs are not primarilly trying to straighten themselves. Primarilly
they are resisting panel expansion. The "straighten themselves"
perspective ignores the fact that pressing downwards on the panel
increases the panels tendancy to expand... which is exactly the thing
the ribs primarilly resist. It is this resistance to the panels
expansion that causes crown to begin with. (opposite and equal way of
saying its the panels compression that causes crown). This resistance
just doesnt reverse itself and turn into a "flattening aid" simply
because panel expansion is caused by a different source then taking on
humidity.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne