Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:27:01 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Crashvalve@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 25, 2003 9:33 AM
  Subject: Re: Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

  In a message dated 10/25/03 10:44:16 AM, pianobuilders@olynet.com =
writes:

    I don't know. It's not something I've ever tried to design a test =
for. It is common practice to remove all, or at least most, of this =
curve during the string leveling operation. And I try to concentrate on =
things that will actually have some measurable influence on piano =
performance.

  This comment also right to the point and valuable as always del.
  I have not tested for curve beyond eyeballing the string, however a =
small surface plate firmed to the keybed and leveled to the extreme =
string terminations (obviously high treble easiest) would allow one to =
then run a surface gauge along a straightedge and actually gauge how =
much deviation we're batting around. Once done, anything one tried to =
straighten the string could be then easily checked, but I would say the =
ear is the final arbitor, what does it matter if you can't hear the =
difference you make. Trouble is this whole surface plate shebang has to =
come out to allow action/hammer testing. Sure this whole surface plate =
thing seems obsessive/compulsive, but  I think i'll run it anyway and =
report any numbers. further...would an intentional string kink/anomaly =
be easily heard ?

  Glenn C.=20

Yes. This I have tried. On C-28 in an S&S B. I put a kink in the wire by =
bending it to 45=BA prior to stringing. Even though the kink =
straightened out so it was barely visible a distinct and annoying "wow" =
could be heard. The character of the wow can be varied by where the kink =
is placed within the speaking length.

Del