Ivories/work on a Hazelton grand

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:41:21 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> "I told them usually, only Steinways have soundboard replaced and it
> would not be worth it."  IMHO, this applies only to folks that rebuild
> pianos for resale (but keep in mind that a host of other manufacturers
> fall into this category also - M&H, Bosendorfer, Bechstein,
> etc.) Terry Farrell

Grin.. yes... well... there is that reality that the rebuilder faces...
namely you have to be able to make enough money to make it worth your
while... not to mention being able to survive. Even many of the << worth
while >> instruments end up getting subjected to some of the
consequences of that fact.

Its really too bad the market isnt just a bit more critical, willing and
able to judge a good rebuild (and pay for it) over a new piano. Here in
Northern Europe / Scandinavia... rebuilders are far and few between
because you just cant sell a used piano for half of what its worth. An
antique store can sell a wreck with a pretty case for 10 times its
value, but a good rebuilder is nearly chanceless. Some do manage for
sure.

Cheers
RicB

--