Tonebell

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:05:38 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/2003 9:34:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:
----- Original Message -----
From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: October 22, 2003 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Tonebell

      Robin
      Excellent info. Also, the 6ft. 1905 AB Chase that we rebuilt this year
had a bell as well. The piano, built like a tank, had no claims to any thing
concerning the bell. If the bell is such an incredible tonal device certainly
it would have had a more noticeable effect on tone which to my ear does not. It
also torque's the rim which could force the rasten/board joint to rotate out
ward and there by upwards also adds torque the board.
  Dale
Well, I didn't say the difference was dramatic. To understand why these
things are rarely used on smaller pianos one has only to consider the relative
sizes of the plates in the area under question.

Del
       True enough you didn't say dramtic & I agree. The plate on the AB
Chase was fairly stiff & I doubt any nose bolt arrangement was needed of any sort.
  Dale