Rusty Stretchy Strings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:34:43 -0400

Mr. A440-or-die posting here:

I serviced a 15-or-so year old Yamaha GH1 this evening. Lady lives right =
on a salt water canal and leaves all windows and doors open 24/7 for =
about ten months out of the year here in west-central Florida.

Piano was a little rusty (never seen a piano more rusty that this one!).

Pitch was 25 to 50 cents flat and three strings were broke. Raised pitch =
to A441. Popped a half-dozen strings. After replacing strings the piano =
was up to 20 cents flat in some areas. Raised pitch again to A441. =
Popped a couple more strings. After replacing those, several areas of =
scale were five to ten cents flat. Started bringing those areas up, =
popped a couple more strings and then had to tell the owner that no way =
was this piano going up to standard pitch by me (sure glad the two bass =
strings that shot across the room missed that glass-fronted china =
cabinet).=20

This piano has set a new rusty-string standard for me. I'll be going =
back there to fine (?) tune the piano in a week or two - at whatever =
pitch the piano settles at (my expectation is that it will be somewhere =
below A440). But my question is could these strings be so weak that they =
stretch much more than usual - kind of like a stretch right before it =
breaks? It seems that when you bring a string up to standard pitch, it =
stretches and settles at a lower pitch. Any other piano I have ever =
pitch-raised pretty well stays where I put it - but not this one. I've =
never seen anything like it.

When removing a few of the old rusty broken strings, I would grab the =
string with a pair of pliers to yank it out - and the sting broke again =
- I've never before broke a piece of piano wire by just tugging on it!

I told lady it is time to restring. Maybe that PureSound stainless steel =
wire would be of benefit in this piano. The owner did tell my that she =
is not changing her lifestyle for her piano, and that she is going to =
keep that piano until she dies (I'd say she was 40s-ish and pleasingly =
healthy, so that may be a while!).

Terry Farrell