Aaargh!!...aka customer relations

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:06:07 -0500

Good points, Guy.  Updates like these (to someone back to work after a =
rather extended maternity leave) are why I signed on to Pianotech again. =
 Though I must admit, I don't recall anyone thinking they could get away =
with tuning every few years (we always made the next appointment when =
finished with the tuning.)  I have a friend who used to tease me about =
prospective customers having to fill out applications to make =
appointments with me.  Not true!!!!  Really!!

Thanks, again for the good advice.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 11:35 AM
  Subject: Re: Aaargh!!...aka customer relations

  At 10:49 AM 10/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:

    It's really important to get this information to them right at the =
start.  I usually end up with the comment, "Though it will cost more =
this time, at least you are not having to pay for all the tunings it's =
missed!" =20

  Sound advice, Barbara.
  I also find the PTG Technical Bulletins very helpful. The one for =
Pitch Raise spells it out well, except for your phrase above. It's a =
good point, and I use it occasionally, but I'm sometimes hesitant to =
point out how many hundreds of dollars that they've saved for fear of =
them deciding that it's a viable long-term technique! The bulletins are =
effective because customers will normally have a bit more respect for =
the printed word. And.... with cantankerous customers, my communications =
skills go down the toilet. The ptg.org address is on my invoices, =
estimates, and letterhead, also. Sending the customer to the .net has =
other advantages, also. Like getting the customer off your shoulder =
while working.

  Entertaining career, no?

  Guy Nichols, RPT
  Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

  "Controversy equalizes fools and wise men and the fools know it."
                  Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)=20