Tonebell

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:46:33 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 20, 2003 10:16 PM
  Subject: Tonebell

  In a message dated 10/20/2003 6:58:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:
      Take the coupling bolt out of a D sometime and listen to what =
happens to sustain through that area.

     Del
           Del
          I took your suggestion out of curiosity today.  I have an =
almost completed D in the shop which by now I know intimately in the =
tonal sense. I listened carefully to octave 6 & then disconnected the =
bell bolt. Honestly it was difficult to say there was any desernable =
change. However when I put it back in I decided to tighten it a bit more =
& the sustain though slight increased on a few notes primarily C-6 ,thru =
D sharp 6. It was so slight that I cant imagine a beam and nosebolt =
wouldn't have the same effect. For all its touted features I'm =
questioning its benefits not to mention the torque it puts on the rim =
where some separation is often seen.  Know what I mean?=20
    Dale

Yes, the effect is slight to almost non-existent in some pianos. In =
others it's a bit more obvious. It depends, I think, on the actual =
characteristics of the individual casting. And, yes, the same result can =
be obtained through the use of a beam and bolt.

Del