Leveling Sticks WAS: Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Cy Shuster 741662027@CHARTER.NET
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:58:51 -0500

Merci bien, Isaac.  That's a great idea to stand at the side of the =
piano and look at lines reflected in the keytops, to check the final =
alignment.  I've tried a small laser pointer, too, putting it on the top =
few keys and depressing them to align it to the keytops, but it's not =
very useful practically.  The first high key stops the beam.

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac sur Noos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 4:24 PM
  Subject: RE: Leveling Sticks WAS: Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg =
model)

  CY,

  Train yourself to insert open paper punchings. The key level was done =
once, and unless the actyion is really tired you can level a lot without =
having to disassemble the action.

  Anyway, after having made a leveling with the weights, when you put =
everything back in the piano, yoy always have to insert supplement =
punching (or compress some others) to have your "perfect" level.
  The final test is that you shoud see in the keyboard lines reflected =
like in a mirror (no scales)

  For that reason it is important to straighten the front of the ley to =
compensate for bushing wear, or decompensate ith the bushing have been =
renewed.

  I don't believe in leveling on the bench, only rough leveling can be =
done there. The precise job can only be done with the action in place =
and in the piano.

  By precise job I mean, the height of the keys is consistent, and the =
pressure on the bolts is even, andfront and back of the key frame are =
bedded.

  I precut batches of paper punching (Yamaha ones) with my center pin =
cutter, and check the level with my rule (eben a short rule is OF for =
flat keybeds. Then I eyeball what punchings I will need and I install =
them under the front punching felt.
  Then I take the action at 45=B0 and install those.
  The black keys are easier to insert from below.

  While holding the action at 45 =B0 there is enough weight on the keys =
to check for holes.

  You can also check with a light finger the surface of the keys, it is =
easy to feel the holes and their size while sliding a finger along the =
keys.
  Take care not to scratch the strecher with the drop screw, mars are =
not very decoratives.

  I just dressed an almost complete Yamaha C3 keyboard this afternoon , =
not done since 18 years.
  Took me 1hour 1/2 whites and sharps. ( but I was not necessary to ad =
very thick punchings , only a few 0.15 mm and a few 0.008 mm ones)

  BTW the correct size for the paper punching is around half of the =
thickness of the "hole" with some experience you choose the right amount =
immediately.

  I've not seen how the use a "heavy  rule" at the Steinway factory, but =
I understand it is an appliable method, as you always have to finish =
with the stack screwed. I have on some occasion pre-dressed a keyboard =
with my fingers pressure at the back of the keys, not perfect but it =
worked.=20

  As often, in piano regulation, it is useless to try to attain =
perfection at the first pass, unless you fairly know what you are doing =
exactly.

  Working the most in front of the instrument gives you whit time a =
better understanding on how things evolve , and an immediate control on =
what you are changing.

  Hope that helps.

  Regards.

  Isaac OLEG