Leveling Sticks WAS: Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:35:45 -0600

At 09:39 PM 10/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually, going section by section, instead of (oh, the price tag) an 88
>note weight rod, might be a little unstable. If the key frame is forced
>into conformity with the keybed, only in that one section, then the other
>sections are free to lift as they please. This would leave that section
>being leveled without the influences of the other sections of the frame.
>That is, with the action frame fastened and the Top Action Weight on the
>caps. The better bedded the frame is, the less error might hide here.

Bill,
    I usually have the keyframe clamped or weighted anyway, depending on
the bench. I just discarded my 30-year old bench top, and am "breaking-in"
(read-- scarring) a new top. I went with white, this time. Easier to find
parts. Anyway... I haven't noticed any problem with deformity of the frame
when using the washer set-up on a section at a time. It just doesn't weigh
that much, overall. Specially when it's up against one of those S&S sets
with six keyweights in the treble keys. The problem there is lifting the
keyframe onto the bench!

Terry... you've got a decent visual, I think. The main thing is to have the
washes holes big enough to allow sufficient travel. The washers available
now aren't very consistent in thickness, and some may have burrs or other
deformities. Talc helps, although we don't have a problem with rust, or the
like. (ambient today is a muggy 14%RH) Double-nut the ends so the tightness
of the system is stable.

As for other systems, my dad had a thinghy he set up on regulating jig. The
weights were plumbing parts, and pressed down right next to the capstan.
Real pain in the neck to set up and keep aligned. Sort of a cam-action
clamp, without the locking mechanism. As for placement of the washer rod,
Terry, it rides between the capstan and the rear block that holds the
backcheck wire. Doesn't seem to be problematic for me. Versatile, mobile,
cheap (enough), and doubles as an intruder discouragement device.

have fun,
Guy

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
         -Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower