Steingręber and CC boards

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:13:34 +0200

Hi Folks

Just got back from the Nordic convention where we had the pleasure of
having  Mr Steingręber himself on hand for a lecture on grand piano
construction and design. In light of some of the disscussions we've had,
both in favour of these pianos he makes, and about the general subject
matter of soundboard construction... I simply had to ask him how he
crowned his boards.

His method is to dry the panel out to 4 % MC... or less if he can get
it. Flat ribs are glued on as the panel is pressed into a curved caul.

I of course mentioned that many feel this is a recipie for disaster and
he simply smiled and said that if the process was handeled correctly
there was no danger in overloading the panel at all.  He said that
stress on the panel was neccessary both from the standpoint of cross
grain compression that comes from it taking on moisture, and from the
standpoint of both tension and compression that occurs in the panel
along the grain because of forcing it into the caul. And he underlined
the importance of this last bit.

I also noticed that in Europe in general..there is a tendency to use the
word "tension" for the concept of stress. Seems to be necessary to make
sure each time the word comes up what they are actually refering too. I
did that of with Mr Steingręber and am pretty confident I got his
meaning right.

Just thought you all might like to know what his position was on this.

I also asked him about the criticisms of CC panels, and Rib crowning as
an alternative. His response can be summed up by saying that CC panels
are quite dependable and have outstanding longevity characteristics as
long as they are contrived with the proper care and knowhow. And
concerning the Rib crowned panel, his position was that these were
acoustically inferiour.... tho I didnt get time to really nail him down
on a more specific reasoning for that opinion.

We had two of his smaller grands on hand, a 163 and a 205. I have to say
I was very impressed with these. Amazing bass for such a small piano in
the case of the 163. Very much in the Steinway tradition soundwise. Yet
the sustain and clarity in the treble on the 205 was superiour to most
any piano I have run into. They simply sang. Perhaps a  bit of a lack of
definition in the upper bass section when power playing with big
chords... but thats the only finger I could put on a down side.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne