soundboard stresses

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:55:14 +0200

John..

Thanks for the reply.  Again... I ask these things so as to get straight
whats actually going on where, not so much because I am trying to show
anything in particular.

One question about significant forces and unsignificant forces, that
unsettles me a bit. It appears that we are writting off the significance
of any particular stress if the resistance to that stress is very high.
Take the straight tensioning of the rib for example.... that is looked
away from because it has such a high tensil strength along the grain...
yet the thing is stressed with the same psi that the panel is. So ok..
the panel readily compresses, and the rib does not so readilly
lengthen... but the stress level still remains the same on both. I guess
I am saying... so what if the rib only lengthens by a fraction of a
mm... isnt it the amount of stress on it thats important ?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.