Clang

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:29:09 -0600

At 08:15 AM 10/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I've heard various people talk about ways to add mass to the mid to low
>tenor on the underside of the board, or bridge, to compensate for lack of
>stiffnes in this area.  What is the general method for doing this and any
>pictures?
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,
    One-and-a-half inch diameter brass stock, cut to various lengths. An
inch will give you around 200 grams. Drill a hole through the stock and
just screw it to the underside of the board, right through the panel into
the bridge. Keep the screw short enough to grab without going way up into
the bridge. Cool thing about this is that if it doesn't help, you just take
it off. Since seeing this on the Baldwin mod 6000, and hearing about it
more from Del, I've been trying it on some pianos that have a weak, or
un-balanced tone in the killer octave area. Works on some, doesn't work on
others. Have used up to 450 grams.

Give it a shot. A foot of 1 1/2 " brass is only 25 bucks, more-or-less.

Later,
Guy