Clang

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:12:01 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/2003 9:33:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Erwinspiano
writes:
is is a piano that is relatively recently strung and still shows some
crown in the middle, maybe 1/16".  Since I don't know how the bearing was
set, what combinations of board/bearing settings might also contribute to
this.
  David , see condition 3 below as a perhaps

I would be interested to hear what combinations generally produce what
kinds of tone as a diagnostic tool.  For example:

1. A board with weak crown that has excessive bearing.
 2.A board with good crown but too light bearing.
 3.A board with weak crown and light bearing. (or no bearing)
 4.A board with good crown and excessive bearing.
 5. Also Unevenly set bearing pressure.
    1. Actually sometimes not too bad but can have weak treble due to
reversed crown under the trebles. Seen sunken bridges & deformed board S&S A -2
   2. Only fair sustain not as much power or woof to the sound. I've seen
this in a ( 9ft. Kawai)
   3. Weak sound that breaks up & commonly shows particular impedance
problems in octave four & elsewhere. Loud or distorted attack or thwack as I call
it.(could be clang?) Can't be voiced out or to blend. Lots of old S&S's
especially L'S & O's
    4. Tends to sound choked for power but can still illicit some sustain
with a harder /heavier hammer & careful voicing. Don't see this much
   5. Weakness in the offending area. I've induced this myself once in a S&S
A-3 with new board. Repairing the bearing uniformity fixed the tonal problem.
  ANybody else?
   Dale

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net