Tuning a Hamburg B

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:08:12 +0200

Hello Dave,

Action parts are made by Renner for Steinway (even the hammers).

Indeed the action is better, from what I know, the wood of the parts is less
soft.

The B model from Hamburg is one of the most universally apreciated
instruments.

The most current touch up you can have is that the keyframe is having a
different pressure on the bolts depending of the season, very often a little
correction is necessary, always while avoiding to definitively warp by too
much srewing these somewhat sensibles keyframes. pressure checked on the
bolts, may nock under a 2 fingers lift, avoid too much at the left/rigt ends
or the balance rail will warp.

Regulation is always 63 mm key height (64 acceptable) 10 mm dip or slighly
less (9.75 given as a factory standard, but rarely applied) , 1mm or 1.5 mm
letoff and 1 mm drop , minimal spring, checking as high as possible without
rubbing tails , but a minimal aftertouch, too little aftertouch will give
you the upmost power but less singing tone, too much will damp the high
partials and make the action heavy, so the tone will say you also if you're
right.

BTW the tone also will say you if the bolts are even.
Have fun !

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech