Partials change with tension?...was Verituner Spinner

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:21:41 -0700

Does anyone know, do the proportional relationships of the partials to the
fundamental, and to each other, remain relatively constant as string
tension is changed?
Ron N

Ron,
One phenomenon I've observed, over the years of using an ETD, is that of the
"Stretch" reading can/does change on a given instrument. This reading, is,
of course, the harmonics of a given string. When pitch raising and sometimes
even when doing just normal tuning, this factor changes! It is my suspicion
that adding tension to a string will, in fact, change it's harmonics. I have
not done, nor do I have time for such, any "scientific" studies on this
subject. Just my observations over the years. I have thought that the
moisture content in the sounding body has something to do with this, as
well. At this point, just theories, on my part, but for what ever reason it
does occur.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police