Michael G. re: 8ves

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:13:28 EDT

Michael G asks:

> If the second harmonic of
> the lower note of the 8ve = the first harm.of the higher note then the
> fundamentals are not exactly an 8ve apart???

Hi Michael,

An "octave" can be many things !

Tuners, aural or visual, don't tune a 2:1 octave anywhere in the piano.
Here's why: Because piano wire does not vibrate harmonically, the partials become
progressively sharper, and only one set can match at a time. This is different
from an organ, the partials of which are harmonic.

Take for an example an organ pipe vibrating at 100 Hz. It will be producing
harmonics at 200, 300, 400, 500, and so forth. Doubling in this case = an
octave, so 200, 400, 800, etc. are 8ves. Another pipe vibrating at 200 would
produce harmonics at 400, 600, 800, etc., so the two tones played together would
produce coincident partials at 2:1 (the 2nd partial of the lower coincident with
the 1st partial of the upper), as you describe. There would also be
coincidences at 4:2, 6:3, 8:4, etc.  The note would be so in tune that it would
actuallly sound like a brighter version of the lower note. No beats.

In the piano example, I'll use made-up numbers, overstated for illustration.

For the 100 Hz. fundamental, because of the inharmonicity endemic to ALL
piano strings, our phony piano might have octave partials at 201, 403, and 810
(exaggerated). The upper note might be 200, 401, 806. If you raise it one Hz. to
match at 2:1, or 201Hz:201Hz, you will also have 403:402 and 810:807, so the
upper harmonics will beat.

If you raise it more so that it matches at 4:2, it won't match at 2:1, 6:3,
or 8:4. Some of these beats are of course louder than others, so the "beatless"
octave that some tuners describe is a actually a "sweet spot" where a
weighted average of this beating is reduced to a minimum. It is sometimes an
appropriate octave choice, usually in the temperament area, is often an octave that
doesn't match exactly on ANY coincidence; and is wide of 2:1, less wide of 4:2,
and slightly narrow of coincidence at 6:3.

Other parts of the piano require that the single octaves be stretched a
little beyond "clean", so that double and triple octaves sound better. While by
themselves, 4:2 or 6:3 or 8:4 octaves might all sound good, a little slow beating
is intentionally introduced in the octaves, in order to make the wider
intervals closer to clean. A triple octave higher in the piano can not actually be
as clean as possible, without introducing objectionable beats in the singles
and doubles.

Octave width can also be voicing dependent. Because our ear averages the
beating of the various harmonics depending upon their amplitude, tuners will hear
a "beatless" octave at a different width in a brightly-voiced piano and darker
one.

I hope this is useful.

Regards,
Bob Davis