2 questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:10:43 -0400

My best guess that among PTG members in the Midwest USA, an average =
tuning fee would currently be in the $75 to $90 range. But that is only =
based on my conversations with a few techs I happen to know and have had =
the subject arise with. I know several that are both higher and lower =
than this range (actually more than a few that are higher).=20

I get the impression that non-PTG members on average are charging as =
much as $25 less than that range. And that is based on an even-more =
limited, and likely biased, sampling.

I also get the impression that rates at best tend to keep up with =
inflation.

OK, there's answers to three questions. Now I know you meant to ask a =
couple more questions, so I'll save you the trouble of asking and just =
go ahead and answer them: How much should technicians charge and how =
should rates change?

I think fees should be based on desired income plus the cost of doing =
business with all that tempered with the tech's technical abilities and =
what fees the area will support. Pretty nebulous formula for sure, but I =
think it is the basic formula that one needs to use. Fees supported will =
depend on median area income, perhaps the level of culture in the =
community, education level, the economy, etc.=20

Rate changes should be based on inflation and how the tech's skills =
change over time. If a tech's fees are at an appropriate level and s/he =
actively pursues continuing education, fees changes should exceed =
inflation because s/he is getting more experienced, gaining in =
education, and thus is presumably providing better services. If =
continuing education is not pursued and daily experience is not actively =
turned into increasing skills ("who cares, it's just a job") I should =
think at best the rate of inflation might be appropriate. If skills are =
diminishing for whatever reason, perhaps it would be appropriate for =
fees to increase at a rate less than that of inflation.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20