Longitudinal mode info

Clark Sprague clark@evola.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:57:34 -0400

Del, Then, if the longitudinal mode frequency built in to a bass string =
is hit or miss, how come the class I just went to in Milwaukee, given by =
a bass string maker, said that he can design-in the longitudinal mode, =
so that it is a more in-tune frequency than the "off the rack" string =
makers?  Smoke up our collective dresses?  Or a real advance in string =
making technology?  I am hoping for an improvement, as I just got =
finished tuning a S and S M that had a few that were (now that I know =
what it was) really unpleasant, and impossible to tune or voice out.

Clark Sprague, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: spalding48@earthlink.net ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 12:50 AM
  Subject: Re: Longitudinal mode info

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Michael Spalding=20
    To: Pianotech=20
    Sent: October 13, 2003 3:03 PM

    Del,

    That's a very interesting history.  Makes one wonder if/how the =
current custom rescalers/stringmakers are controlling the longitudinal =
mode?

    Mike=20

  As it's always been -- it's hit or miss. But it was with Baldwin's =
SynchroTone strings as well. Except, perhaps, for some few that might =
have been made under Harold Conklin's personal supervision.

  Del