Round Damper Blocks

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:11:53 +0100

Hello Jarred
The problem of "ringing on" in the bass section has been a problem in =
many upright under-damped pianos. I don't think it was the lack of Mass =
in the damper which allowed the condition, rather it was the lack of =
damping the important nodal points. To this end "Fly Dampers" were used. =
I haven't seen any of these fly-dampers in new pianos, but the principle =
was that a little damper (usually square, not round) was attached to the =
normal damper by a piece of thick wire - like grand damper wire - this =
wire bypassed the hammer operational area and had the fly damper =
attached to its end. I hope this is descriptive enough to give a mental =
picture. Some manufacturers applied this principle extending it to a =
fly-damper unit... Was there no end to it? The George Rogers piano was =
the main user of this principle.
Regards
Michael G (UK)