soundboard stresses

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:47:49 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 14, 2003 8:19 AM
  Subject: Re: soundboard stresses

  In a message dated 10/13/2003 10:02:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

      But pressed into curved cauls. The effect on the soundboard panel =
is the same as if it were pressed at a somewhat lower MC.

    Del
     I'm assumning you're speaking of simply stretching the panel since =
spruce does seem to have quite an ability to flex across grain. Even so =
it seems that it would have to be a fairly steep caul to make much =
difference. Just holding small left over pieces of board in hand and =
bending them into tight radii to see how much they'll bend before =
breaking is one of my personal favorite recreational shop sports. We all =
take turns and keep score & the loser gets to buy lunch.    =20

No. I meant the amount of compression on the soundboard panel for a =
given amount of crown. Regardless of whether it is obtained by drying =
the board down 4% and gluing the thing up flat or drying the panel down =
to 5% and gluing into a curved caul, compression crowning is compression =
crowning.

Del