nursing home blues (slightly OT)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 06:50:38 -0400

Tom,

I tune 10-11 pianos in the local retirement/nursing home.  I work with
the person in charge to get me into the areas when residents are not
there, or at least will not be disruptive.  I also hope we can avoid
other interruptions, such as chimes for fifteen minutes broadcast from
the chapel across the campus or the morning retirement community news
broadcast, which is piped everywhere.

If I were to encounter a situation like yours, I would probably try to
contact the person who hired me and inform them that I can't concentrate
on my work under those circumstances, and try to work out a better time
for the next tuning.  If I had only one piano at the nursing home and
there were no acceptable alternative, I can politely refuse to work for
them again.

I try not to have strong negative thoughts toward these residents.
Hopefully I will never enter my childhood to that extent, but who
knows?  I may be one of them myself one day.

I wouldn't consider this topic OT.  Working under difficult
circumstances is very much part of our work.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT