Longitudinal mode info

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:03:30 -0500

Del,

That's a very interesting history.  Makes one wonder if/how the current custom rescalers/stringmakers are controlling the longitudinal mode?

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Delwin D Fandrich
To: spalding48@earthlink.net;Pianotech
Sent: 10/13/2003 4:25:56 PM
Subject: Re: Longitudinal mode info

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Spalding
To: Pianotech
Sent: October 13, 2003 11:26 AM

Many thanks to Bob, Del, and George who provided the patent information.  Just printed out a copy from the USPTO website; this should provide excellent entertainment on many a sleepless night!!

Del, was Conklin's method then put into practice on some or all of Baldwin's pianos?

Mike
Well, yes and no. Do another patent office search and you'll find a patent issued for the string winding machine required to reach the level of precision needed to make the concept work as Mr Conklin intended. The machine was way too slow for production -- about one set of strings per machine per day -- and it was (they were?) being shipped off to Mapes about the time I arrived at the company. During my time there Mapes was wrapping Baldwin bass strings on their regular machines. So, yes, the strings were wrapped to the required core and wrap specifications but, no, they had nothing like the precision required to actually tune the longitudinals to any kind of predictable harmonic. After you've figured out how to calculate the required numbers you'll see that to achieve effective longitudinal mode tuning great liberties are taken with core and wrap wire sizes. There is no consistency to them at all. This, then, sacrifices tonal uniformity, power and inharmonicity. By not wrapping to the required precision the company had ended up with the worst of both systems. Since it was unlikely Mapes was ever going to be able to deliver the kind of consistency and precision required by SynchroTone I had just started redesigning it out of the bass scales one at a time when I left the company. (I'm not intending to be hard on Mapes here. They were under severe budget controls -- those strings had to be CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!) I don't know what happened after that.

Del