Steinway V dowel capstans

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:21:15 +0100

Hello Tom Sivak
I, for one, shall be watching your progress with interest. The "dowel" =
as you call it is mounted by a screw thread onto a thick pin which is =
driven into the top of the key. These (in UK) are called "Dolly Tops". =
Beware of adjusting these. Have a soldering iron on, applied to the pin =
just below the Dolly. Be sure to use a small self-gripping "mole wrench" =
between the point of heating and the key - a heat sink. This is a sure =
method of easing solidly rusted joints between metal and wood.
For replacement ivories I use an impact adhesive - it doesn't warp the =
ivory as PVA glue does. (Is this an equivalent to your CA glue I =
wonder?) The black coating on the top of the Dolly is Black-Lead. It is =
obtainable from most hardware shops or from your piano parts supplier =
and is applied as thickly as you can with an artists' paint brush. The =
solvent for it to clean the brush is Methylated Spirit.
Over to you - and good luck. This is just what this post site is for.
Regards
Michael G (UK)