RC vs CC again

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:08:36 -0700

I have to say, I agree with Ron N.  that it's time to try and put real
science to this issue--though from my reading, I think Del and others have
done this many times over.  Many of the points being made are at such odds
that they cannot all be true.  The science must also pay attention to those
variables which cannot be held constant.  It is not enough to say that I
liked a soundboard that I heard that had some compression crowning
therefore compression crowning is a necessary component for a good sounding
piano.    Though I understand why that choice might be made, striving for
results which are quantifiable and predictable seems not to be a goal which
is unachievable.  And while I agree that isolating variables in a
controlled experiment is at best difficult, if not totally impractical,
those who argue one side or the other should certainly be able to
acknowledge those uncontrolled variables in their assessment about what is
contributing to what.    Though I am not an engineer, it makes perfect
sense that wood, as an engineering material, should behave predictably
within a certain range.   Unless personal bias is exercising undue
influence, I don't see why we can't come to some agreement about what that
is.  Though, as the late Carl Sagan observed, it is a demon haunted world!

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Nevada.