Restoring crown

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:05:03 EDT

 Scott
 I dialed up the web site Piano world in St. Luis but could find no
description of what you're saying in regard to them restoring crown. They look like a
player piano outfit not a high end Grand piano restoration facility which is
where the discussion & interest usually is.
     I've restored crown in several older uprights but not in a grand. I
doubt anyone can accomplish that procedure more efficiently than someone
installing a new board unless the ribs are already separated severely from the panel.
Then it's not so much trouble. Willing to be wrong.
   Regards mate -Dale
There are people who recrown soundboards. There are people who say it can't
be done. There are people who say that you can try, but it's not worth it, or
that it's not permanent. Probably the most vocal proponent is D.L. Bullock at
www.thepianoworld.com who says:

"We are one of the few shops that even know recrowning of the soundboard is
possible.  Other shops will tell you it cannot be done.  They will charge you
an extra $2,000. to replace the soundboard with a new one.  Would that same
shop restore a Stradivarius Violin by throwing it out and building a new one?  I
think not.  Then don't replace a piano's soundboard."

Here is a summary of a technique used by Joe Garrett:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2002-May/109890.html
Here is another idea:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2002-May/109498.html
And one more: