RC vs CC again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:19:16 -0500

>       As you say It doesn't seem the panel is going to compress
> significantly with these minor increases from downbearing. I typically
> dry Sitka  panels before ribbing between 5.5% to 6% EMC out here in
> Calif. Many go to the bay area with higher average moisture levels than
> the central valley where I am. I have followed many of these pianos over
> timed see no sign of compression ridges, cracks bulging etc. With other
> kinds of spruce with less strength across grain , or containing too much
> soft spring/early wood, it could be a problem.

But then neither you nor John are building compression crowned soundboards
with flat ribs, so the comparison isn't of much use.

> range from 5.5 % to 6%emc

In purely compression crowned boards, the overall compression is the
problem, not the starting MC. Similar panel compression levels can be
gotten by either severe drying, or pressing the assembly in a deeper dished
caul. If the resulting crown is the same, the panel compression is the same
no matter how it was arrived at.

>    If anyone has had the idea that only a highly modified board is an
> exceptable and legitimate attempt at quality piano rebuilding just isn't so.

And as far as I'm aware, not a living soul has made that claim, so I can't
help but wonder why so many people repeatedly and specifically make this
point against a claim that was never made.

I also note that my original request for an explanation still hasn't been
approached. John said that the ribs of a compression crowned soundboard
supported most of the crown, and the panel supported very little. I'd still
like to know how that can be when it is panel compression that is bending
the rib in the first place, thus supporting both the rib and the bearing to
retain crown.

Ron N