Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:26:55 -0700

Hello Isaac:

Bushing time can take longer when you start to include everything else like
cleaning and polishing.  In fact, I usually take some time after a bushing
job to level the keys, which means you then must adjust the capstan and
check the dip.  That does add some time.  I prefer to let the wood dry
completely too.  Sizing the mortises with sizing cauls is not a bad idea
either.  For polishing the pins I prefer to use "Flitz" if they are bad, a
product called "Noxon" if they are not too bad, and if they are very bad,
or if some of the plating is missing, I replace them.  There is no nice way
to clean pins.  It's a lousy job but somebody's got to do it.  On an action
rebuild I generally just replace them.  Usually balance pins are drilled
through so you can turn the action upside down and punch them out.  Insert
new ones and secure with a drop of CA glue from the underside.   Front rail
pins can be pulled using a pair of wire cutters which grip them nicely and
a dowel to act as a fulcrum and pry them out.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net