Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:36:39 +0200

No Terry, you misunderstand me, the "pitch raise" itself is the piano =
tuned sharp, subsequent rough tuning you are tuning from sharp to =
correct pitch.

Try and tune a semitone flat piano to A440 in one go, and you are giving =
yourself a loss and two hours or more=20

Brian

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 9:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

  Comments interspersed below:
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Brian Lawson=20
    To: Pianotech=20
    Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 2:15 PM

    Hi, let me say it again, as sometimes I think I'm writing posts to =
myself on pianotech.

    No, I read it, but I don't understand it.

    A pitch raise, my definition:

    The purpose of a pitch raise is have all strings slightly or more =
sharp than "standard pitch"

    The object of my pitch raises are to have all strings at target =
pitch.

    A pitch raised piano is an out of tune piano, but sharp to " =
standard pitch"

    Why would you want the piano sharp? If the client wants their piano =
at A440, I would recommend that one tune it to A440, not something =
sharper.

    unisons are not in tune, 4ths, 5ths octaves are close or wildly out =
of tune

    and that only takes about 15 - 20 mins!

    Then, you do your first rough tune to get it sounding close. It is =
because it is easier to tune from sharp to correct pitch than to pull up =
from flat

    shall I go on?

    Sure. But it seems to me easiest to tune a piano that is already at =
target pitch than one that is either sharp or flat.

    Brian

    =20
      ----- Original Message -----=20