RC vs CC again

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:34:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 08, 2003 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: RC vs CC again

> Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>
> Hmm... Like I say.. the only thing I dont understand is what happened to
that
> tensioning (pure stretching) force on the rib.? I mean.. the rib forces
the
> panel to compress, and the flip side of that coin is that the panel is at
least
> going to attempt to force the rib to lengthen. The degree it fails in
doing so
> results in the bending of the rib and the formation of crown.. yes ?? But
what
> about the degree it succeeds (if any) ? If the rib is at all tensioned in
the
> sense that it is lengthened in addition to the tensioning that occurs in
the
> top half from bending... then I dont see how the rib could not be
supporting
> crown, because if thats the case there is more going on then just the
ribs
> desire to straighten out.... It also has a desire to not tension any
more,
> which downbearing on the panel will tend to do.

Will the rib stretch? Sure it will. At least the top of it will. To about
the same degree as Ron N's aircraft carrier will slow down as it impacts
that kamikaze mosquito. Spruce is rather strong in tension, it doesn't like
to stretch at all. As well, the bottom will compress a bit and there will
be a neutral line somewhere towards the center. The net result is that the
thing wants to straighten itself out again.

> > Ponder this stuff as you will, I'll get excited when I see how these
> > hypothetical questions actually provide meaningful information that
will
> > help me design a better sounding soundboard system and a better
sounding
> > piano. Right now, however, I can't conceive how they will.
> >

> Grin.. well hell Del... you misunderstand me  here.... I am not trying to
tell
> you or anyone how soundboards function or not... I am simply asking
questions
> because there are things I dont understand. That I dont take it for
granted
> that any other particular person fully understands things either is only
> healthy insurance policy to keep me on a learning track. While I realize
that
> can be bothersom to some few, it is my experience that the great teachers
of
> the world have enough patience to cover this bothersomness to begin with,
and
> enough humility to remember that no matter how much they  know... one
never
> knows when something is been overlooked or missed. ... heck... thats the
whole
> spirit behind our prime directive here... "there's no such thing as a
dumb
> question"

Well, I don't claim to be a great teacher so I'm off the hook. Besides, I
believe there are such things as the occasional dumb questions. (All
present questions excepted, of course.) I also believe it's possible to get
so bogged down in the abstract that it becomes increasingly difficult to
understand the fundamentals of a thing.

Del