1876 Steinway D

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:16:42 -0700

I have a customer with an 1876 Steinway D.  The construction is very
interesting.  It appears to be a 3/4 plate with the plate terminating at
the pinblock.  The pinblock slopes down toward the plate from a very
massive stretcher that is cut in a curve to match the pattern of the tuning
pins.  Agraffes all the way to the top, 88 notes.  An interesting cut-off
bar with the soundboard corner totally eliminated so that you can see down
through it to the frame.  The cutoff bar seems to be supported by a frame
and a couple of large bolts tighten into the bar itself to hold it firm.
I'm curious who might have experience with this vintage Steinway and what
you can tell me about the construction at the plate/pinblock/stretcher end
of the piano.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net