tuning hammer

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:36:40 +0100

Hello Don
I don't think I answered the 15cents question adequately - or did I? I did
say in one of my "inputs" to this site that I frequently am called upon to
tune a piano "up to Pitch" - i.e. A = 440 - and do so at one sitting (or
standing) if the piano merits such treatment. Such a piano may well have
been regularly "tuned" at the wrong pitch 'cos the tuner had either not the
time or the inclination to bring it up. It usually takes about 90 minutes to
coarse-tune followed by a fine tune. And the piano is always very grateful -
if you see what I mean. Thereafter it stays better in tune and the wonderful
thing is hearing an apparently "dead" piano come back to life... So, in
answer to your "heretical" understanding as things are over the water, here
it is considered important that the correct pitch is obtained. Even if it
means going past that 15cent limit - and a semitone is something like
100cents - is it not? To get the piano to such a pitch change involves
taking some strings well over the 100cent change, because in the final
anaylsis, they will drop back the required amount. Now to new strings:
re-stringing. The same applies in a way. The overall pitch must be increased
in stages of a decreasing amount to each stage. This is because the new
strings are going on to a copmpletely relaxed/untensioned freame. But I'm
sure that many of these stages are in excess of your 15cents. This may be
heresy but it works. And always use new Wrest-pins! We cannot spend too much
time theorising about the "why's and wherefore's" if the end justifies the
means - otherwise you get totally bogged down by worries about the 15cent
"heresy" business. But your *clean and jerk* is something I'm not sure I
interpret correctly. So what do these terms mean in English?
Over to you
Regards
Michael G (UK)