no charge to good steady customers

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:10:12 -0400

--=====================_3383609==.ALT
Phil,
         I don't think it's an issue of being fair to the tech community=20
since they are not my paying customers here. I do this type of thing fairly=
=20
regularly. If you wish to keep her as a steady customer you can't charge=20
her when service isn't needed. There is a corollary in almost any other=20
service industry.  Think of what your mechanic charges you and how you'd=20
feel if he did so whether you needed anything or not. You've obviously=20
thought this through and in my opinion your thoughts are right on target.
         In general I usually ask first time customers how they intend to=20
use their piano. If they respond that it's just for piano lessons and their=
=20
budget doesn't seem to be "sky's the limit" then I may even stray from the=
=20
6 month tuning schedule and recommend something less like once a year or=20
even every other if they seem to have a piano in a stable environment (A/C=
=20
in summer and added humidity in winter) It's not unusual for me to visit=20
customers whom I haven't seen in 3-5 years who's piano still sounds great!=
=20
I end up doing exactly what you describe. A quick touch up and a general=20
looking over followed by a token fee. Seems that those folk are some of the=
=20
most active in giving me referrals too!

Greg

At 07:00 AM 10/7/2003, you wrote:

>Last Friday was a scheduled appt. with a very faithful every 6 months=20
>residential customer - Baldwin Acro(newer Console model) - DC installed.
>
>When I arrived, this client was as gracious as ever - said the piano=20
>really didn't sound bad at all to her.
>
>..she wasn't kidding.
>
>I probably could have done more harm than good if I tuned the whole thing!=
=20
>- it was spot-on with the exception of a few top-end unisons..I touched=20
>them up for her, and told her 'no charge' today.
>
>She was more than willing to pay 'something' for my time, and I probably=20
>should..my gut feeling was not to charge her, so I didn't..I wasn't there=
=20
>more than 10 minutes, and 1/2 of that time was spent putting that darn lid=
=20
>back on(2 pins on the bass side as opposed to a 'piano' hinge in=
 back..uugh).

>I'm not looking for a pat on the back here..just curious if this is common=
=20
>practice amungst my peers..or do you truly feel I am not being fair to the=
=20
>tech. community.
>
>curious this morning,
>

>Phil Bondi(FL)