RC vs CC again

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:20:36 -0400

Ron,

I know I shouldn't even try to unravel this but I will try.

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> If you cut a rib from a Panel crowned soundboard (parallel to the
>> rib but half way between the adjacent ribs) you have a laminate made
>> from a rib and a strip of cross grain spruce. The two pieces of wood
>> form their crown just the same as the above laminated rib. Once formed
>> this structure is going to behave just the same as if the crown were
>> formed from a crowned rib.
>

> This doesn't equate in the real world with actual wood. Wood is
> anisotropic, and compresses considerably more across the grain than it
> does along the grain. It takes considerably more dimensional change in a
> cross grain spruce panel to generate the cross grain compression levels
> it takes to both bend the rib (which, itself is not made of multiple
> layers formed and glued, but is one solid piece that resists bending far
> more than a stack of laminations of the same overall depth), and support
> the bearing load.

Yes I know about anisotropic properties of wood I don't need a
lesson on this from you. I was trying to find an analogy that would be
familiar. My point is that once the soundboard is assembled the
ribs attached to a Panel Crowned (PC) board contribute to the stiffness
of the structure. If this were not true then a PC board would not have
any more resistance to deflection than a panel without ribs. I have
handled many soundboards some of which were built with the PC method.
When the ribs are attached the whole structure is noticeably stiffer. So
were does this stiffness come from if not from the ribs?

>> Furthermore, the idea that the small additional compression of the panel
>> due to bearing will stress the panel of a PC soundboard more than a RC
>> board is just not right.
>

> Additional compression? You mean in addition to the compression
> necessary to force crown in the ribs before the string bearing is even
> applied. How then, are the ribs supporting most of the bearing load in a
> CC board when the panel is already supporting the ribs? That's the
> question I'm addressing.

I am just going on the evidence I see. When you apply down bearing the
board moves down about 3mm. You can compute how much more (in addition
to the compression of crowning) compression the panel is holding by
figuring how much this straightening of the crown compresses the panel.
If you do this you will find that bearing does not compress the panel to
any significant degree. This is true for PC and RC boards alike.

On that 48" rib you mentioned, the cross grain
> dimension of a panel that is 48" at 4.5%MC, will be approximately 48.5"
> at 12%MC. It takes half an inch of compression in a 48" panel just to
> form the crown in a flat rib. That's a bit over 1% of the total width.
> Immediate and permanent compression set occurs at anything over 1%,
> according to the literature.

While I believe that any board made this way is at risk to long term
deterioration the PC method as used at the current Steinway factory does
not compress the panel to the point of damage (above the elastic
limit). From my own experience with examining boards I have pulled
from relatively new (under 20 years) Steinways you do see most of the
crown intact (Steinway does not use a lot of crown). My crude attempts
to find how much compression is involved indicates that about 1/3 the
elastic limit is reached when a PC board is crowned and reaches 6.5%
moisture content. This is about 200 psi to create the crown. Yes this is
a concern and I would not build a board this way but the panel is not at
the point were it can't hold the crown with even some leeway for
increased moisture (it doesn't begin to get damaged until its above
11%EMC and even then in can still support the load). As you know cross
grain spruce can withstand about 580 psi before it starts to fail. The
1/3 figure I found corresponds well to what we know about the moisture
levels used to rib a board with the PC method in comparison to the
moisture level used with the RC method. It is a difference of 2 percent
which if viewed as the stress in a constrained soundboard panel comes
out to be a little less than 200psi.

If you have experiments or data to contrast with this I would like to
see them.

What does bearing add? Typically more than
> what it takes for ribs of that dimension (no panel) to be deflected flat
> if they had been machine crowned. So the bearing adds at least as much
> load as it took to bend the ribs.

No I don't think bearing adds much compression to the panel for the
reasons I went into above.

Little stress on the panel, and the
> ribs carrying the majority of the bearing load? I think not. And when
> you force that panel flat, so the rib is again straight, the rib is then
> under no stress at all except at the top edge. What is it that is
> pushing back on the force it takes to push it flat? It's the panel
> compression.   So please explain how the ribs are supporting most of the
> bearing, with the panel supporting very little.

The best way I can find to look at this is to examine the evidence. We
have a PC board with ribs that are shallower than what is necessary to
hold the bearing. We put the strings on and they push the board down. We
find that the soundboard has not collapsed and holds the bearing load
more than we predicted looking at the ribs. We look at the panel and
find that it has not been significantly compressed from the bearing. We
recheck the deflection of the ribs and find that they are not holding
all of the load ether. Jumping to conclusions we think the panel must be
holding it - this is sloppy thinking and flies in the face of the evidence.

I think that the model that a few have been using to explain how the
soundboard works is, well wrong. We have been fed this idea that the
ribs are like floor joists and the panel is like the floor boards. The
ribs hold all the weight and the panel just goes alonge for the ride.
May I propose an alternate model? The ribs and the panel and the bridge
form a single crowned unit that has pretty much the same stiffness along
the ribs as it does  along the grain of the panel. It is like a crowned
diaphragm. When the soundboard is attached to the rim all of the
components form one structure well suited to support bearing. If you
want to have a complete picture of how bearing is supported you must
consider the contribution of the rim. As the diaphragm is pushed down
the rim holds it in and provides the added stiffness to resist bearing.
This theory at least makes some attempt to show how crown can improve
soundboard performance (again something we know from experience). With
the floor joist model all that can be said for crown is that it
compresses the panel. I say So What! compressing the panel can do
nothing to improve tone.

The soundbaord we inherited has evolved to have equal stiffness both
along the ribs and along the grain of the panel. This makes sense
because it assures that the vibration modes of the soundboard will be
fairly circular in shape to best utilize the soundboard area. If you
start to design the ribs to be more stiff than the panel the vibrating
areas (modes) of the soundboard will begin to elongate in the direction
of the ribs. At some point if you continue to design the ribs to support
all the bearing load you will make a soundboard less able to project
tone. The board will break up into smaller less efficient vibrating
areas and this defeats the whole purpose of supporting bearing in the
first place.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin