tuning hammer

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:02:32 -0500

Don,

At 18:22 10/05/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>. There you go--one
>possibly appochrifal explanation of "tuning hammer".
>
>At 04:24 PM 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >And for whatever reason, here in the US, most folks call a tuning lever a
>tuning >hammer!
>
> >Terry Farrell
>
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.

>"appochrifal"
???

I think that would be vestigial, kinda like your appendix, or the vestige
of a former usage.   Those of us who do harpsichords well know the use of a
tuning hammer for tapered pins.

Of course, I've heard/seen people refer to the thing as a tuning
"key".  Which leaves me wondering, would that be as in door, clock or skate?

Conrad Hoffsommer

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
It's gone right now and didn't leave a forwarding address.