String Removal during Restring with Original Pins

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 11:36:38 +0200

David makes a couple good points. The opportunity to dress up the capo can help
quite a bit.  If you do this, I would suggest following Ed McMorrows advice
relavant to the capo bar. I have done things this way for many years and it
never ceases to amaze me how much cleaner and rounder the sound of the upper
treble range becomes with that narrow clean V  profile.

As far as the aliquots are concerned tho... course you can grind em down a
bit... but you want to make sure they are not already to low to begin
with...regardless of the overall bearing. I dont know how common that is... but
I would suppose its worth making sure.

Another thing about taking all the strings off... is that you can address any
bridge pin concerns very easily.

If you do remove all stings.... I personally like to lower tension rather
slowly and evenly. Not every board reacts kindly to just having tension fully
lowered one string after the other. In fact, I would think most boards would
find it at the least rather uncomfortable.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.